Find Northern Virginia area resources for affordable housing programs, summer camps, and school aged care HERE.
Additional housing programs for temporary shelter or young mothers:
Action in Community through Service (ACTS)
Doorways for Women and Families
Embry Rucker Community Shelter (ERCS)
Second Story for Young Mothers
Virginia Head Start Association; 52 programs, divided into four regions, that offer Head Start and Early Head Start services to their communities. Browse the Program Directory.
Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) distributes state funds to schools and community-based organizations to provide quality preschool programs for at-risk four-year-olds unserved by the federal Head Start program.
The following centers accept childcare vouchers, offer scholarships, or sliding scale fees for income eligible families:
Annandale Christian Community for Action (ACCA); serves Annandale & Bailey’s Crossroads Community Residents.
Easterseals Child Development Centers; locations in DC, Maryland and Virginia
Hopkins House Preschool Academies; three locations in Northern Virginia
Laurel Learning Center; the majority of childcare slots are reserved for working families receiving childcare subsidies from Fairfax County.
Northern Virginia Family Service; Head Start and Healthy Families Programs
The Campagna Center; early childhood programs in Alexandria
The Child and Family Network Centers; delivers quality education for Alexandria’s at-risk kids.
United Community Early Learning Center; subsidies for qualifying families available through the Fairfax County Office for Children.
YMCA of Metropolitan Washington: Infant Care and Preschool; Before and After School Care; Summer Camps.
Community nonprofits that provide children’s essentials, as well as seasonal school supplies and holiday help.
- Community Empowerment Northern Virginia (CENV)
- ECHO – Ecumenical Community Helping Others
- Greater DC Diaper Bank
- Herndon-Reston FISH; Friendly Instant Sympathetic Help
- Koinonia, A Community of Sharing
- Lorton Community Action Center
- Northern Virginia Family Service
- Salvation Army, Fairfax
- Share of McLean
- Toys for Tots
- Two Percent Project
Community nonprofits that provide support with basic needs, such as clothing, food, and household items.
- ALIVE! – serves the City of Alexandria
- Annandale Christian Community for Action (ACCA)
- Arlington Food Assistance Center
- Capital Area Food Bank
- Casa Chirilagua
- Catholic Charities of Arlington
- Committee for Helping Others (CHO) – serves Vienna, Oakton, Dunn Loring and Merrifield
- Fairfax FISH
- Food for Others
- It Takes a Village, Baby!
- LINK – emergency food for people in Herndon, Sterling and Ashburn
- No Kid Hungry
- Women Giving Back